How to have a safe Valentine’s Day with pets around

Posted by Argos. February 9th 2015. Tagged: Pet fun and Pet information and ownership advice

Valentine’s Day is the day of love, but it can also be a time when accidents happen – sometimes involving your beloved pets.

Valentines Day DogWhether you receive a gift from your partner or a secret admirer, these presents can all be a potential threat to your pet. Find out how to stay safe when cupid comes calling.

Hide the chocolate

Chocolate is a common gift on this happy day but it can be a deadly snack if found by your pet. One of the chemicals present in chocolate or sweets is methylxanthine, which when consumed by any pet can cause vomiting, panting, diarrhoea, seizures or even death.

Keeping these harmful ingredients away from your pet is important at any time of the year but especially at times when there may be more of it in your home. If you want to give your pet something tasty then there are special treats available from pet stores and even dog-friendly chocolate available from pet stores. which even include dog-friendly chocolate.

Keeping candles out of reach

Surrounding the bath with candles or placing them in heart shapes around the bedroom may make your partner feel loved, but if one of your pets manages to get close, the results could be horrendous.

A wagging tail or a curious cat can knock a candle over and cause a fire and some pets may even decide it’s a good idea to try and eat some of the sweeter smelling varieties resulting in a mad dash to the vets and a large bill.

Flowers and plants

Bouquets of flowers or just a single bloom may seem safe to you or your partner, but many flowers can be toxic if eaten by a curious pet. The thorns on roses can cause serious cuts to their mouth or paws and even though they maybe a sign of love between humans, they can spell tragedy for your pet.

Many flowers, including lilies, can be fatal if ingested by cats and can cause kidney failure. Some of the signs to look out for if your pet has eaten a flower it shouldn’t have are:

  • Drooling
  • Lost appetite
  • Vomiting
  • Drinking more
  • Urinating less

These symptoms can appear even if your cat hasn’t eaten the flower.  It’s very common for a cat to suffer toxicity from brushing past the bouquet causing the pollen to rub off on their coat, the cat will then groom itself and this can also result in kidney failure.  If you notice your pet displaying any of these symptoms it’s important that you take them to a vet immediately for treatment.

Gift-wrapping is bad for pets

If you are lucky enough to receive stacks of presents on this day of love, then make sure that you keep any of the cellophane, wrapping paper, bows or ribbons out of reach of your pet. Most pets are intrigued by anything that shines or glistens and also love to chew or taste anything within reach so be sure to dispose of all your excess packaging and keep balloons out of reach.

This rule should be carried out all year and not only on special occasions.

Receiving a pet as a gift

Some people may love animals but that doesn’t mean they want one as a pet. Always tell friends, family and potential partners whether you are willing to take on a pet to avoid being gifted one for a special occasion if it’s not what you want.

If you do receive a pet as a present, think carefully about your decision to commit to the animal. Dogs and cats can live for a decade or more and other pets can last for longer. A pet is for life – don’t take one on unless you are prepared to look after it.

Back to blog