Why can’t dogs have chocolate?

Posted by Argos June 9th 2020. Tagged: indoor pet care, pet diet and pet illness

Many of us are aware that chocolate can be harmful to dogs. What you may not be aware of however, is that the risk to your dog after consuming chocolate is dependent on several factors such as the type of chocolate, the amount eaten and your dog’s size.

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs because it contains theobromine, a caffeine-like molecule that increases blood flow to the brain which is hard for dogs to process. Want to know more? Here is everything you need to know about why dogs can’t have chocolate.

What happens when dogs eat chocolate?

When dogs eat chocolate, they can get sick and exhibit poisoning symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhoea. However, their symptoms can be far more severe if enough chocolate is consumed.

Toxicity in chocolate starts at around twenty milligrams of theobromine per kilogram of body weight[1]. In a small dog weighing around five kilograms, a hundred kilograms of theobromine (around seventy grams of milk chocolate or twenty grams of dark chocolate) will likely cause problems. There are about twenty-five grams per square of a chocolate block, so that’s three squares of milk chocolate.

Cocoa powder also contains higher levels of theobromine, with only 4 grams of cocoa powder containing 100 milligrams of theobromine.

What are the symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs?

If a dog consumes large amounts of theobromine, they could potentially face muscle tremors, seizures, irregular heartbeat and, in extreme cases, internal bleeding or heart attack. If you’re unsure if your dog is suffering from theobromine poisoning, it can initially be marked by severe hyperactivity.

You may also notice your furry friend showing signs such as restlessness, excitement, nervousness or even trembling.

selective focus photography of short-coated brown puppy facing right side

Can dogs die from eating chocolate?

Few dogs eat enough chocolate for it to be fatal, especially if they’re a bigger dog, but chocolate consumption can still be damaging even for the largest breed.

Chocolate poisoning typically affects the heart, central nervous system and kidneys. The severity of the effects varies by case, and while it may only leave some dogs with diarrhoea, others can end up with more severe long-term effects such as cardiovascular problems and seizures.

Since it’s hard to determine how much chocolate your dog has eaten and the potency of the cocoa it contains, you should take your dog to the vet immediately if you suspect they have eaten chocolate.

How long does it take for chocolate to get out of a dog’s system?

Typically, your dog will vomit on their own after consuming chocolate. Ideally, this is done within the first two hours of consumption, but you shouldn’t wait to see obvious symptoms. It can take between six and twelve hours for symptoms to occur and early treatment will help your dog recover faster.

In more severe cases, symptoms of poisoning can last for up to seventy-two hours, so it’s important to always monitor what your dog eats and what they have access to as most dogs will eat just about anything. 

close-up photo of white short-coated dog

What should I do if my dog eats chocolate?

Take them to the vet. If you believe your dog may have consumed chocolate and is potentially suffering from theobromine poisoning, the usual treatment is to induce vomiting within the first two hours of ingestion and so time is of the essence.

In a worst-case scenario, your dog may require the administration of fluids and IV drugs to flush out any toxins, so taking them to the vet immediately is crucial to their recovery time. 

How do I keep my dog safe over the festive periods?

Reports of dogs with chocolate poisoning increase dramatically around Christmas and Easter[2]. With an abundance of chocolate typically around at these times of the year, you may need to keep an extra close eye on your pooch to avoid any accidents.

If you plan on having an Easter egg hunt, avoid hiding treats in places easily accessible to your dog to keep them out of harm’s way. You should also remind your guests that chocolate is toxic to dogs and to keep their treats to themselves or on countertops out of reach.

If you want to include your playful pooch in all the fun, here are some yummy treats that they can eat on occasion as part of a balanced diet. You can even use them to create an Easter hunt just for your dog to keep them involved in all the festivities.

Accidents happen. If your dog happens to consume chocolate, you can avoid expensive vet fees by choosing one of our dog-specific insurance policies. Visit www.argospetinsurance.co.uk to find out more about Argos Pet Insurance policies provided by Pinnacle Insurance plc.

[1] Peterson, Michael E., and Patricia A. Talcott. Small Animal Toxicology. W.B. Saunders, 2013.

[2] https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertglatter/2017/12/21/chocolate-poisoning-risk-in-dogs-peaks-at-christmas-study-finds/#320077991bcf

Back to blog