Easter Pet Dangers and How to Avoid Them

Posted by Dr Dog. April 13th 2017.

easter pet dangers

With the arrival of spring comes Easter. And with Easter comes family gatherings, fun and, of course, edible treats.

 

We just can’t resist those tempting chocolate eggs, hot cross buns and sweets, and tradition usually sees our houses filled with all sorts of decorations. Unfortunately, we often tend to forget that these treats we love so much are potentially harmful to our furry, four-legged family members, whose inquisitive little noses can often lead them into trouble.

 

Here are the key Easter pet dangers we need to keep a look out for over the Easter period:

 

Chocolate

Starting with the obvious one, most of us know that chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats. UK vets report that chocolate is the main cause of poisoning in dogs, with the caffeine and theobromine chemicals within causing damage to the heart, central nervous system and kidneys.

 

Cats and other pets are less likely to snaffle your Easter eggs than dogs, but caution should still be exercised by owners, and all chocolate treats – especially dark chocolate which is extra toxic – should be kept well out of nose, eye and paw reach.

 

Sweets

Another Easter staple, sugary sweets can present a serious danger to our pets. Their high sugar content can have the same negative effects on our pets’ health as it does on ours. But it’s not just the sugar you need to worry about; many sweets also contain a sweetener called Xylitol, which is toxic. It can cause low blood sugar, liver failure, seizures and comas in dogs. Make sure these are all kept well out of reach and not given out as pet treats.

 

And let’s not forget those tempting, sweet-smelling wrappers that our pets love to swallow. These can get stuck in their throats and cause choking or intestinal problems. With this in mind, make sure you keep an eye out for any wrappings or other items left lying around.

 

Decorations

Easter wouldn’t be Easter without decorations, Easter baskets and nests. But we need to be mindful of our inquisitive pets when these decorations are around; some parts of them can be harmful if swallowed.

 

Easter grass, the brightly coloured fake grass made of plastic or paper for decorations, is especially problematic. These can become caught around the back of the tongue or get tangled inside the intestines if swallowed by your pet. This can lead to illness or even death in severe circumstances. Make sure you remain vigilant with these objects in the house, and if you see your dog or cat playing with your decorations you should remove them from their reach.

 

Hot cross buns

Hot, spicy and delicious, these traditional Easter treats are irresistible to us and, not surprisingly, a real nose-twitcher for our pets as well. Unfortunately, they contain dried fruit such as raisins and sultanas, which are toxic pets and can lead to kidney failure.

Make sure these are stored well out of reach and not left lying around for curious noses to sniff out.

 

Spring bulbs

Spring flowers like daffodils and tulips have become synonymous with Easter time, and we often fill our gardens and houses with them every year. However, did you know that these are poisonous to our dogs if eaten? If your dog likes to dig or chew, it’s best to refrain from planting daffodils and tulips in your garden. Their bulbs and flowers are poisonous and can lead to an upset stomach, vomiting or even fits.

 

Sometimes, despite our best efforts, our four-legged friends manage to get themselves into mischief. For these moments, it’s essential you have proper pet insurance to ensure they’re treated quickly and you’re not hit with huge vet bills. Visit our website at www.argospetinsurance.co.uk to find out more about our dog insurance and cat insurance policies.

Back to blog